Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ice Dancing and Patriotism

I finished watching the ice dancing competition last night. It was amazing. Team USA and Team Canada were phenomenal. (As a side note for all you who think ice dancing is hokey, lame, wimpy, etc: Try tossing and successfully catching your best friend up into the air while she is twisting and turning and all the while you are speeding along on two skinny blades.)

As I watched the Canadians skate I could see and feel the emotion involved not just from being at the Olympics but from skating for their country in their country. Scott Moir said it was like all of Canada was on the ice with them. I can't imagine what it must be like to know your whole country is rooting for you and cheering you on.

I believe in Patriotism - in being so in love and devoted to my country that I would give my all for it. I love the United States of America. I believe this country was formed by the Hands of God who lead good and righteous men here. They had a belief that something greater could be accomplished.

What could our country accomplish if we would all stand together and be united? If we were rooting for one cause and cheering each other on? I imagine greatness and miracles would take place. Unfortunately I see division and contention quickly creeping into all aspects of our country. I am truly scared of the direction we are headed. We need change. We need a mighty and purposeful change. I believe in what this country could be and in some ways what it once was. There are good people all over this country quietly living their lives praying that things will be okay for them and their families. There are a handful of righteous and God-fearing people trying to make changes. But a handful won't accomplish much alone. We need to be united and stand together, devoted to a country that can be great.

No comments: