Thursday, January 28, 2010

When sickness invades, sets up camp and refuses to leave



Since Thanksgiving someone in my house has been sick each week.  I don't know if there's been one week when someone hasn't missed at least one day of school.  We've had stomach bugs with and without puking (the new word Karena learned at school this week), the flu, 2 cases of strep, bronchitis, colds and various other illnesses that I couldn't quite figure out.  We've also been to the doctor on 3 different other occasions.  I'm almost embarrassed to call or go to the pediatricians office anymore.

Today Hannah's home from school with strep and I have to say I'm weary of it all.  I've started questioning my mothering.  What if I'm doing something wrong?  Are they eating the wrong things?  Am I not cleaning enough?  I've been trying to remind myself that this is a phase and it will pass but it seems never ending.  This blog post has helped and I find myself chanting in my head, "Be not weary, be not weary, be not weary."  Mornings are better than night times.  I find I have a fresh outlook after some sleep.  Not usually good or a lot of it but at least I'm getting some.

I'm trying to remember to count my blessings.  My kids get a long well with each other.  They even pray for each other to get better.  We don't have any life threatening medical problems.  They are generally happy sick kids.

Just to entertain my stressed out mind I've come up with three unreasonable solutions to all the sickness and germs:
1- Burn the whole place down - germs and all
2-Lysol bomb my home.  They have bug bombs why not germ bombs.
3-Lysol my kids.

Actually I think someone should invent #2.  I think they could make a lot of money. 

So in the meantime I will wait, pray and Lysol the heck out of my home.  Anyone know a good way to disinfect a computer and piano?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Make sure you replace their toothbrushes!!! :0) And don't EVER be embarrassed to call/come to doctor!!! :0)