Sunday, August 30, 2009

Our Three Week Adventure - Part 2

Pioneer Day is a big holiday in Utah. It celebrates the day that Brigham Young and the first pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley. Before I start the travelouge I just have to say how much I love hearing stories about the pioneers and how much courage and strength they have. It makes me so grateful for the things I take for granted every day. I am amazed at the number of women who bore children along the trail, buried children and husbands along the trail and still kept on walking. They knew the blessings of heaven far out weighed the trials they were facing right then. I wish I could be more like them.

Pioneer Day is held on the 24th of July and in some parts of Utah is as big a celebration as the 4th of July. But in Washington, UT (where my parents live) its not but it was still a lot of fun. The morning started off with a parade. The kids had never been to a parade before and were so excited to see their first one. Their excitement grew as they learned people would be throwing CANDY to them. Hannah was the first one to get any - at the envy of her brother and sister.



Tyler loved the tractors. The girls loved the cheerleaders and other dancers. I took this picture for John since he couldn't be there with us. After the parade we went to the park behind us for a carnival. They had games, food and music. We all stood in line for 20 minutes to buy shaved ice. The kids each ran a foot race. They did really well and all won a participation prize. They got their faces painted.


Tyler usually doesn't go for stuff like face painting but decided that since his sister's were getting in on the action that he would too. I thought Hannah would go for the lizard since she's the "Lizard queen." (She got that name from Uncle Brady after chasing a lizard around at the Clark County museum for 30 minutes.) She went for the rainbow instead. Karena and Tyler decided a lizard would be cool.

In one corner of the park was a dunking booth. You could pay to be dunked or do the dunking. The kids chose the dunking and did quite well. They enjoyed it so much that we went back a second time.



If you heard the guy in the video say "I thought they were trying to rip me off" let me explain. Karena and Hannah were both in line. Karena was first. She completed her turn and then came to stand by me. The guy working the dunking line was looking around for the next person when I said,"She's next," and pointed at Hannah. He looked at Hannah and said, "Didn't you just go?" I called out to him, "They're twins!" He looked back at me and with a look of incredulity he saw Karena and then looked back at Hannah. I have had people mix them up before but I have never had someone mistake them for the same person before. It was a very funny moment that even the girls found very funny.

After lunch and naps we went to a local splash pad.





We had the place to ourselves for most of the time we were there. Another family showed up at the end. We decided it was time to leave when two teenage boys showed up to cool off in the water. One of them had stripped down to his tighty whiteys and borrowing his friend's shirt put it on like some huge orange diaper. I knew that this was going a bad idea because as every mom knows the wetter a diaper gets the saggier and droupier it gets. Sure enough he got it wet and it started to slip. Dad and I promptly rounded up the kids and home we went. Thankfully we were looking for a good excuse to leave anyway.

This concludes the end of Part 2. Stay tuned for Part 3 - The Taxidermy Capital of the WORLD!

No comments: